Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Future Ended In The Past


A traffic cop signaled a waste disposal truck driver to stop his vehicle.

 He ordered me out when he was told I had no ID.

Turning around to be handcuffed, he told me to stand in place until he got back from his squad car. The dampening field of bleakness began to crush like the chopper of a garbage truck.

Under a falling sun exploding in shades of autumn gold, I stared at the billboard for The History Channel overlooking the new Willis Avenue Bridge. I resisted diving off into The East River and becoming history with no past in this timeline. Just an unknown from who knows where in a universe that wastes nothing.

The cop came to back to scan my face with a mobile device.

 If you’re lying to me, he said, I know what you look like.



 Is this professional courtesy because we both take out the trash? This city made me feel like an illegal alien in a century that belongs only to its people for as long as they last.

                                      A Brief History Of Mind

I want to finish chapter and take home what belongs to the future …”Across all distances of time and space”, wrote the sixteenth American president like a homing beacon among the stars in other galaxies. I’ve been a willing prisoner of a child’s dream for far too long.

I want freedom for the better angels of our nature.

I wanted to be taken to the stationhouse and have my fingerprints sent to Washington.

There’s no record of you in the computer, said a bewildered librarian when I applied for access to cyberspace. This library was my boyhood fortress of solitude where I found A Winkle In Time and now the adult doesn’t exist.  She allowed me the use of the Internet until I found someone with my name at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Mystery is the source of all true art and science, said Albert Einstein.
I love a mystery, don’t you?

Tick…tick…tick…


Enlighten the people, generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day

Thomas Jefferson 1743-1826


I

No comments:

Post a Comment